Spare the Rod..Spoil the Child?
Sometimes religion is used to justify hitting and violent punishment of children but not all religious leaders agree that corporal punishment is a necessary component to raising a well-disciplined child.
Here are a few bold and loving statements provided by religious leaders, clergy and parents suggesting that corporal punishment is an unwise and secular interpretation of the Bible. These passages can be used for discussion groups, homilies and sermons, congregation newsletters, and religious education classes. The material is copyright free but authors ask that they be given appropriate credit.
• Materials for the Christian Faith Community
• Ten Reasons I can’t Spank, A Catholic Counselor’s Critical Examination of Corporal Punishment by Gregory K Popcak, MSW, LCSW
• A Message to Christians from a Christian Parent
• Norwegian Church leaders to remove outdated language justifying corporal punishment in the Bible
• Spare the Rod - Save the Child A report by Jon Peterson, Ohio State Representative (2000-2008) and parent, including a special needs child.
• From Sticks to Flowers: Guidelines for Child Protection Professionals Working with Parents Using Scripture to Justify Corporal Punishment